Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:56:32 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches I have up my sleeve

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:43:36AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
> > I can't think of any circumstances where this would cause problems with
> > the actual content -- only lines that consist only of white space characters
> > are going to be affected, and, by their nature, changes to them aren't
> > going to affect the content -- even in things like <programlisting> lines
> > that consist only of whitespace aren't important, as long as the notion of
> > a 'blank' line is retained.
>
> I cannot agree to use automatic filter like this.  I worry about
> unexpected trouble.  Is that enough to make these changes by hand?

The issue with making the changes by hand is that if someone forgets,
then you take a repository bloat hit as and when the problem is fixed.
Putting in this sort of filter fixes it before the file enters the
repository, so there's no bloat.

Instead of making it a filter, it could just issue a (fatal) error, forcing
the committer to fix it before they commit.

> Should we care about this filter to describe topic like this thread?
> (It must contain spaces only line in <programlisting>.)

I can't think of any situations where something like

<programinglisting>
The next line contains some spaces that are vitally important.

</programinglist>

would occur, outside of an obfuscated Perl programming contest.  And even
if that was the case, we would need some way of representing different
types of white space.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell