Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:37:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

> I installed FreeBSD after reading many favourable reviews of it and the
> time came to join an IRC channel for quick help... EFNET's #freebsd
> channel to be precise. I had read the FAQ and it warned me that each of
> the channels had a distinct 'style'. I must say that while on the channel
> the amount of bullshit and tripe I witnessed was unbelievable. A
> cliquey group of unix sysadmins were calling newbies 'lamers', 'loozers',
> 'lemurs', 'wankers', etc. Kicking and banning for very soft reasons. I saw
> more profanity than what you would expect on a general channel. I was
> apalled.

Now go going #linux and hang out there for the same period of time.

You'll quickly learned what even some of the most basic bacteria have
learned by now - IRC is not a tool for tech support, it is a general
chat channel and continuous playground recess in session.  That's all
it is or ever was, and people who wander into there looking for tech
support are exhibiting the same kind of self-destructive naivete that
characterizes those who go to bars or red light districts in search of
meaningful, spiritual relationships. ;)

To put it another way, if you attempt to use a screwdriver to pound
in nails, don't be surprised if you cut yourself.  Use the right tool
for the job, IRC not being the right tool for the job you attempted
to do.

> I'm not surprised the FreeBSD camp are playing 'second fiddle' to Linux in
> the interested and willing 'newbies'; and the computer press'
> consciousness.

This is also not a FreeBSD vs Linux phenomenon, as just 5 minutes in
EFNET's #linux or #linuxos channels will quickly show you.  Please
try for at least some acceptable minimum in statistical research
before presenting conclusions like this.  Knee-jerk reactions serve
no one's purpose, least of all your own.

- Jordan