Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:51:02 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>
> >I just happen to have bought an emacs book yesterday and read a bit. I
> >have two things that I cannot get clear for myself:
> >
> >1. Is it 'done' on BSD? The book gave me the idea that emacs is a real
> >GNU thing, so much 'hallelujah' in it. I don't mind that, but wouldn't
> >like to jump into learning it all, if it isn't really supported in
> >BSD-circles. And I want to be politically correct of course :-)
>
> I just realized what you are getting at.  I was wondering the same
> thing.  Without starting a flame war, if Stallman represents and
> advances the polar opposite of what the BSD license represents, can we
> still support his product so heartily?  SOme people go to the extreme
> of not using programs like AbiWord simply because they are
> GPLed.  Others say, 'if you like the program, use it!'  Tough call.

Different licenses are appropriate for different kinds of software.
I personally have no problems with the GPL for applications like Emacs, which
are an optional part of any system.  Where I don't like the GPL is in the
operating system itself, which prevents its use in binary-only distributions
in embedded (or single-purpose) products.