Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:45:36 +0100
From:      Roman Le Houelleur <roman@IPricot.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   bandwidth analyser

hi,

 I use FreeBSD 4.2 stable + bridge + dummynet + ipfw.
 I would like to calculate the bandwidth of each
authorized IP source flowing through the bridge from a
user program.
 As this bandwidth calculation should be done very often
(10 to 20 times per second) I first tried to use the if_data
structure from sysctl. But it seems the packet counter is
only incremented for packets destinated to the specified
interface, and moreover I wouldn't be able to separate the
incoming flows depending on their source addresses.

 Anybody has an advice on the best way to achieve this
calculation ? what about the counter capabilities of ipfw ?

 Moreover, concerning the bridge, I was wondering if
there is a way not to put a third interface in promiscous
mode. As this third nic exists only for management purposes
I don't want it to participate to the bridge in any way.

Thanks,

Roman.