Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:32:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      paz <paz@apriori.net>
To:        Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ipchains in FreeBSD

: No problem - fire up:
: 'tcpdump -s 1600 -x -w tcp.output'
: and then use something like ethereal to analyse the output, so that you
: can identify where it is failing and thence, why it is so.  Then you'll
: be able to add rules to allow those packets back and forth through your
: firewall - I'd imagine that they'd be something along the lines of:
:
: ipfw add <rule_number> allow tcp 3568 from any to <internal_ip> in
: ipfw add <rule_number+1> allow tcp 3569 from <internal_ip> to any out

: These rules assume that it's using tcp, if not sub in udp instead.  You
: may also want to limit the <any> to a specified set of servers.

I'll try your suggestion. For the record, I wrote several dozen rules as
you show above, without success; the only "progress" I seemed to make was
in being able to quiet messages to the console which inform me of ipfw
rule failures.

cheers -
-- Philip.