Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Your article "Linux May Be Running on Some Spindly Legal Legs"

Wes,

This is a great letter.  Given that it's a discussion of the license, I'd
be tempted to talk about the removal of the two clauses in the example
license in /usr/share/.. for the purposes of completeness.  Specifically,
the advertising clause since that has been a point of criticism previously
for the BSD license.

You might also want to refer to some of the related and effectively
identical licenses (such as the CMU license on Mach, as we use the Mach
virtual memory system, another fine heritage worth mentioning to bolster
the FreeBSD case).

It might also be worth pointing out some of the existing commercial use of
BSD included in existing products, not just its use by companies,
including things like InterJet, the real time operatring system who's name
eludes me for the moment, BSD/OS which actually has an embedded sparc
version I believe, etc.

Anyhow, it looks like a cogent and well-formulated argument :-).  And the
development side of things (i.e., incorporation in a product) is an area
where the corporate concern can be particularly clearly observed, due to
the stickiness factor.  And to allay the concerns of the GNU folk that it
results in a "proprietary" system, it's easy enough to point to Whistle's
many great contributions, as well as BSDI's dos emulator, etc.

Thanks,

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/