Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:56:11 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Jay West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the "mail -u" option broken under 3.3 Release?

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:24:06 EST, "Jay West" wrote:

> So, two questions... In the first case above, like I said it's a
> fresh install with no symlinks. I must assume the mail -u command is
> broken.  Correct?  And second, in the second case where /var/mail is a
> symlink, is this a known bad thing to do? I really don't want to have
> to reinstall this machine to make /var bigger.... ideas?

It's odd, because the manpage says that ``-u foo'' is the same as
``-f /var/mail/foo''. Looking at the code, this is _not_ true. The -u
option really sets the user whom we pretend to be.

My advice would be to use the -f option, since I don't really know what
-u is for. :-)

Later,
Sheldon.

PS: Nope, there shouldn't be a problem using symlinks. But since we were
    working on the assumption that mail(1) might be broken, I was trying
    to narrow down our options.