Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 97 13:10:11 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "David Greenman" <dg@root.com>, "Tom" <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        "Matthew M Groener" <matt@xlrn.ucsb.edu>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: out of mbuf crash

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:35:11 -0700 (PDT), Tom wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Studded wrote:
>
>> nmbclusters kernel option.  I've raised it to 15000 on a 2.2.1 system.
>
>  nmbclusters are statically allocated.  Pre-allocating 15000 will consume
>a LOT of RAM.

	As Dave pointed out, this isn't exactly true, however if you're running a
very high capacity system, this is one of the things you have to take into
account.  With 4,000 users we regularly run with 8-9,000 mbufs in use, so I need
the overhead.  We also have 128M of ram, so that's not really an obstacle.

>> 1383 mbufs in use:
>>         649 mbufs allocated to data
>>         725 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>>         8 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>>         1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
>> 62/3574 mbuf clusters in use
>>
>> 	The number after the / in the 6th line will tell you
>> (basically) the highest number of mbuf's ever requested (although I've
>> seen higher numbers in use than the max on the 6th).  You want the
>> number of mbuf's available to be 50% greater than the max requested.
>
>  The number after the "/", is the number of mbufs currently allocated,
>there may never have that many mbufs in use.  When the number of mbufs in
>use reaches the number of mbufs allocated, another whole chunk of mbufs
>are allocated (assuming you have not reached the limit set by
>NMBCLUSTERS).

	Thank you for clarifying that. :)

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)