Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:34:16 -0600
From:      Keith Hellman <khellman@mcprogramming.com>
To:        andrei@fazik.net.ua
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CAM status: Command timeout

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:06:11PM +0000, freebsd-stable List wrote:
> Sometimes it even can boot, but in few minutes will hang with same errors.
>=20
> Hardware: Supermicro X8DTN+-F / 6xWD1502FYPS-02W3B0 /2xE5649
> HDDs connected to sata ports on baseboard.
> If I add
> hint.ata.2.mode=3DPIO4
> hint.ata.3.mode=3DPIO4
> hint.ata.4.mode=3DPIO4
> hint.ata.5.mode=3DPIO4
> to device.hints I'm able to boot but performance of IO becomes really dis=
appointing.
> Also, if I add something like "find / -name something" to zfs rc script, =
than boots fine.

Boots fine but hangs in a few minutes?  Or all is good to go?  Here is a
thught:  it could be the find / ... command is causing enough delay to
let some hardware "settle down" and behave more reasonably.  Can you
replace the find cmd with an equivalent sleep(1) command of like
duration and get the same results? =20

> If I roll back system to 11.0 all works fine again.

Seemingly minor deltas in the system could have had the needed delay
as an implicit part of the system... =20

Just my 2c
--=20
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman@mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman@mines.edu                        gpg key 9FCF40FD
                                          freenode.net as mrtuple

"The First Python function ever written (takes place in the Garden of Eden)"

Guido sayeth "I will write def foo():"
"Hmm, I could use an import, or two",
Satan said, in a whirl, "Why not write it in Perl?",
and the second function ever written -  def foo_you():=20

-- Python Limmerick Contest submission by cappy2112
   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/threa=
d/d7a780beaff2e88a/

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz--