Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:57:58 -0400
From:      "Richard A. Scheper" <scheper@toad.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP + XDM problem resolved!

OK. Problem solved. Yes it was something stupid and I feel rather
sheepish..

As someone pointed out, the termonal setting in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers

   /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt4

actually refers to vtty3. I had mine set to vt3, which is vtty2. Thus, X
must have tried to grab vtty2 which caused a conflict. Once I corrected
this the problem went away. I can strt xdm in /etc/rc.local with no
fancy tricks, as before.

I guess the fact that it worked without SMP in its incorrect setup had
to do with timing issues after all. SMP just revealed the mistake.

Thanks to all who spent so much time troubleshooting this problem. I
sincerely appreciate your time.

-Rich