Date:      13 Nov 2002 23:33:40 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        aaron.siegel@attbi.com, Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject:   Re: X Remotely on a Win2k Box

Aaron J Siegel <aaron.siegel@attbi.com> writes:

> Hello
> I do not believe you can run kde remotely, you can run kde applications,
> from the ssh shell

You can run any X application remotely, including window managers. I
have done it with Windowmaker. However, if your network link is slow,
you may want to run the window manager locally and minimize the number
of X applications running over the link. Unless there's something
really wacky with kde, it should work too.

For an example of slow, I used mine over a broadband cable modem with
an uplink (from the remote host) of about 800Kbps and downlink of
about 200Kbps. The NT4 machine running the X server was connected to
the net with through a corporate LAN with a T1 (1.544Mbps for about
200 people). This provided unnaceptably slow respones when running
Windowmaker and a bunch of applications that all started
automatically. The X server was the Cygwin/Xfree86
implementation.

Running a couple of X applications over the link with Windowmaker
runing locally worked at an acceptable level. Not great, just
acceptable.

> $ xhost (remote system) (this is not secure xauth is more secure)
> $ kmail -display system:0&
> will display kmail on your system.
>
> If you want the entire kde environment you will want to use VNC this is
> available in the port collection (net/vnc) and at the following link for the
> windows client.

That may be a good solution, but you can also start kde my keying in
'startkde' at the xterm prompt. Or, 'ssh -X -n user@remotehost
startkde &' will do it too over a secure channel. And then there's
'rstart remotehost startkde' if you really trust the network link and
it's setup for that kind of access. There's also a way to use xdmcp to
log into remote hosts from xdm like an X-terminal, but I've never
tried that. A good example of is at
http://www.me.umn.edu/~kaszeta/unix/xterminal/index.html

It's about Linux machines, but the X works basically the same; after
all, it's network transparent.

> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
>
> On Tuesday 12 November 2002 17:52, Brian McCann wrote:
> > Hi all...I tried searching through the archives to find some
> > help...but there was WAY to much returned.  So...here's my question.  I
> > need to be able to open an X session (complete with KDE and all) from a
> > Win2k Box.  I've got Xmanager for Win2k, and I can connect and get an
> > xterm session via ssh, but when I type startx, it starts up X on the
> > console.  I would have thought it would have grabbed the name/number of
> > the display I was currently logged into to send the output to.  Anyone
> > know how I can do this, or a good site with a how-to?

'startx' starts an X server on the machine where the command is
given. X then looks for a graphics card on that machine and a monitor
(sort of) to display its stuff and provides 'graphics services' (is
that the right way to put it?) to applications looking for a display
server. Your X server (the one you see), however, is on the machine
you are sitting in front of. You want to start X applications on the
remote host which then use the display of the X server running on the
machine in front of you.

> > Thanks,
> > --Brian

Happy to help. Now, to walk those dogs ;)