Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:42:07 +0200
From:      Xavier de Labouret <zezaz@chez.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gimp shared memory (returns)

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>>I am puzzled, because Gimp dumps core when i start it on my box too
>>(gimp-1.3, from packages, on 4.8-STABLE). And i let the System V
>>primitives in my kernel conf (they are enabled by default, and i kept
>>them - i had no reason to remove them), and loaded them in my rc.conf
>>(svr4_enable="YES").
>>

>svr4 is "System V Release 4 ABI support", this hasn't to be present in
>the kernel

Oh yes, agreed. I was fooled by the svr4 man page, which is not very
verbose about this ABI aspect ("The svr4 utility loads the SystemV
emulator module").

>(I don't have it an gimp works for me). You either need
> options         SYSVSHM
> options         SYSVSEM
> options         SYSVMSG
>in your kernel, or you have to load sysvshm.ko and maybe sysvsem.ko
>(sysvmsg.ko shouldn't be needed IMHO).

Mmmhh, these options are in my kernel.

(sysv*.ko don't exist in STABLE-4.8).

>Do you have enough shared memory for your needs, e.g. does gimp crash
>with small pictures, or just with large ones?

gimp dies even when i start it with no filename as target. It looks like
it dies when trying to load script-fu modules.

To answer more precisely to your question, i found the ipcs(1) command.
Apparently i do have access to shared memory on my kernel:

drakkar# ipcs -M
shminfo:
        shmmax: 33554432        (max shared memory segment size)
        shmmin:       1 (min shared memory segment size)
        shmmni:     192 (max number of shared memory identifiers)
        shmseg:     128 (max shared memory segments per process)
        shmall:    8192 (max amount of shared memory in pages)

So i will try to rebuild gimp-devel from ports as suggested by Joe
Marcus Clarke.

Thanks still for your suggestions,

Xavier de Labouret