Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:35:35 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Adam <freebsd@mygeotivity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Bug (Nagios)

Adam wrote:

> I found a bug in the /ports/net/naios port. More correctly, I think it
> would be in /ports/net/nagios-plugins.
>
> I had Postgres 7.2 installed on my system. I did this manually from
> source. It seems that when you choose to have postgres support for
> nagios, it doesn't check to see if the library exists, but instead looks
> to see if the port was installed. This resulted in my install getting
> clobbered, directory permissions getting reassigned and my database
> going down.

A lot of ports have this problem.  For example,
I saw it recently with py-MySQLdb, which attempted
to re-install MySQL for me.  <ugh>

Fortunately, I've long ago learned an important lesson:
    If you compile software manually, do NOT install
    it in /usr/local.  Otherwise, the FreeBSD ports/package
    system will happily blow it away for you.

Of course, if you install it elsewhere, then ports won't
find it and will install a new version in /usr/local anyway.
At least this way your custom version won't get destroyed.

Tim Kientzle