Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:34:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making copys of the FreeBSD CD's

On Friday, 27 August 1999 at 16:46:12 +1000, Steven Honson wrote:
> At 12:24 AM 8/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> Doug wrote,

>>> 	It's the difference between content and formatting. To take the argument
>>> to the extreme case, you cannot copyright the english alphabet, but people
>>> can copyright works that make use of it. It's how the letters are arranged
>>> that make the work copyrightable. Same goes with the CD's. All of the
>>> content is available for free, but WC Archive puts it together in a handy
>>> format for you. That format is copyrightable, and you can't just copy it
>>> and use it for your own commercial pursuits.
>>>
>>> Doug (not a lawyer)
>>
>> I believe you are trying to explain something known as a 'compilation
>> copyright.'
>
> I was planing on making a backup because I use the cd's quite a bit
> installing it onto servers at work, and I had quite a lot of trouble
> getting a copy of it where i am in the world. I did not realise that I
> would be breaching any copyrights by making a backup of a free operating
> system.

No, you're not breaching copyright by making copies for backup
purposes.  You would be breaching copyright by making copies for
distribution to other people.  As I said above, I doubted your
motives, because people don't normally make backups of CDs.  I've
taken a look at your web site, and I'm beginning to think that this
doubt was unfounded.

I don't know why you should have difficulties getting hold of CDs
where you are, but if you need any, let me know.

Greg