Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 23:29:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        phk@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Parallel laplink abuse leads to death of kernel secondary timer]

> Yow, this one's pretty cool! :-)  I guess we always knew that PLIP was a
> high-overhead proposition, but it's interesting to see that it only
> croaks on the Pentium.

FWIW, I responded to this on Usenet and basically blamed his hardware.
I've used PLIP to mount NFS disks and done build worlds on the two
laptops I have, one a 486/75, and the other a Pentium/75.  The 'servers'
have been my 486/66 at home and my P-100 ASUS box at work, and I've
never seen any problems with the timers dying.  NFS mounting the disks
over PLIP was a *really* good way of generating an incredibly high
interrupt load on my 486/66, although the Pentium didn't seem to mind it
as much.  Both laptops seemed to not notice it much since I suspect they
were CPU and/or I/O bound most of the time.

Nate