Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:48:05 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: background fsck

> what is the rule to decide if filesystem may be background checked or not?
>
> for example my / is checked foreground, while /home checked background.
>
> can't root partition be background checked too?

Last time I checked (5.3:ish), no. I have no clue whether it's
intentional. I tried to "fix" it but never got too far (well, I gave
up). If I remember correctly (which is not at all sure since this was
a while ago and I did not make notes), it has something to do with the
fact that the root filesystem is mounted read-only, and the
appropriate flags that are required for background fsck aren't set
until a dirty filesystem is mounted read/write.

(But again, I may very well be mis-remembering or have misunderstood
the code in the first place.)

Ever since then I have started partitioning with a small root
partition (a few hundre megs, up to a gig or so), a huge /usr and
symlinks for /tmp and /var - as an alternative to just one huge root
partition.

Does anyone want to speak up as to whether the behavior *is*
intentional, or just an unintentional "bug"?

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org