Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:43:58 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange CVS behavior

> > The moral of the story is to not use the stuff in CVSROOT w/out knowing
> > what they do. :) :)
>
> This is all fine and dandy, except:
>
> a.  Perl is installed, all versions available in ports

Is it installed where the stuff in CVSROOT expects it.

> b.  It worked perfectly fine for over a year, until today.

You were lucky up till this point for whatever reason.

> c.  I am not using anything in CVSROOT explicitly.  I use the command
>     ``cvs add dir_name'' which worked yesterday and does not work today.

If you're using cvs and the CVSROOT you are using is from the FreeBSD,
you are explicitly using the files in CVSROOT.  You have no choice
unless you've edited the configuration files (which live in CVSROOT) to
not use them.

Nate