Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:00:44 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS hardware needs under 2.2.7

>We are migrating all our Internet-related servers from Solaris to
>FreeBSD. I've already moved the news and web servers, and DNS is next.
>Here's my question: does DNS require a separate machine, or are its
>resource requirements rather small? The web server runs on a Pentium 2
>266/128M/4G IDE. Should I run BIND on that or build its own server? Any
>input much appreciated as always.

   BIND doesn't seem to consume a whole lot of CPU, but it does consume a lot
of memory - typically 30-40MB on a busy server. That may be reason enough to
have it on a seperate machine. We have both Apache and DNS on the same
server at WC CDROM, but we have lots of memory in the machine (512MB) and
the machine has CPU to burn (333MHz Pentium-II and only 1/2 million hits/day).

-DG

David Greenman