Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:16:50 -0400
From:      Matt Singerman <matt.singerman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail/postfix ports question

Hello all,

I have a server running FreeBSD 5.2.1 that provides (amongst other
things) MTA services to our office via sendmail.  For a variety of a
reasons, I would like to move away from sendmail to postfix.  However,
the postfix package cannot, as I am sure you know, simply install with
sendmail on the system, since they install files to the same places.  I
am assuming that I have to delete the sendmail package off the system
before I can install postfix (someone please correct me if this
assumption is wrong).  My question is, is there a way to safely and
accurately save my sendmail configuration in the event that postfix
simply does not work out?  I would really prefer not to have to face a
situation where I am left high and dry with no MTA working :)

Thanks,

Matt