Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 20:44:09 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   does the order of .a files matter?

Hello!

I'm trying to port a huge application to FreeBSD. The app's build
process creates over a hundred of static libraries (.a) and then tries
to link them (and a few object files) into the executable. The process
seems to work fine on the existing platforms (a number of Unixes and
NT), but on FreeBSD I keep getting unresolved symbols.

The most frustrating thing is, the number of such symbols varies greatly
with the order, in which I list the libraries on the command line. Is
not the linker supposed to make several runs over the given libraries if
needed?

Each .a is created "by the book":

        ar cq lib<NAME>.a `lorder ${<NAME>_OBJS} | tsort -q`
        ranlib lib<NAME>.a

and the executable creation is:

It "almost" works, if I try to bypass the libraries completely and just
link all of object files, but for the real application I hit the shell's
limit on the number of arguments -- there are too many object files.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

	-mi

P.S. This is on ``FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Fri Apr 26 13:04:00 GMT 2002''