From:      Fred Finster <fred@thegalacticzoo.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        julf@julf.com
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and M.2 SATA SSD recognized but not booting or available for install - unsupported interface

| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
--------------QIuk0Uuykn40P0G00J80shzd

ZFS  ,  UFS  here are some webpages for Raspberry Pi 4B running FreeBSD
14.0-RELEASE

I can show you how to transfer files from a booted USB Flash Disk drive
Stick to make your own USB SSD with a bootable ZFS file system using
about 4 or 5 shell script files to make the move of copying files from a
USB flash drive to a ZFS USB SSD.

If you help me test, find errors, make corrections.  I will gladly help
you Julf and others who are interested in running FreeBSD on a USB SSD
with an installed ZFS file system.

This is the bootable GhostBSD image I created.  You can use the FreeBSD
14.0-RELEASE RPI image.

I have setup a shell script to download  the FreeBSD image for your and
to uncompress this compressed XZ image.

Select '0' to download the checksum value
Select '1' to download the FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE image
Select '2' to download the GhostBSD-Arm64 image file from my package
NGINX web server http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/
Select '3' to download from any URL you select

This is a 6k shell script file to download and perform the tasks for you.
http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/write_freebsd_img_dd_to_da1.sh

http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/Ghost14_5G_selfbuilt_raspi4b_Feb27_2.img.xz
This is a 728Megabyte file to downloaded by the previous 6k shell script
file when selecting option '2' .

500 GB setup for UFS ?
https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2022/02/booting-500-gb-ssd-on-freebsd-arm64-140.html

500 GB setup for Raspberry Pi 4B with FreeBSD O/S
https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/07/learning-zfs-on-root-setup-for.html

https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/04/create-ghostbsd-usb-ssd-500gb-or-larger.html
This is most for x86_64 but the commands are the same.

https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/10/honey-i-broke-my-zfs-usb-sata-ssd-1-tb.html
Here are short details, about how I fixed a boot problem with my ZFS
disk for Raspberry Pi 4B.

https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/01/hdmi-audio-sound-patches-into-ghostbsd.html
Here are details for setting up the audio patch files to compile for
FreeBSD and GhostBSD

Here are details for setting up the 4 shell script files to create a ZFS
USB SSD.

https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/12/zfs-boot-on-root-setup-for-usb-ssd.html

I am sending now, Julf.  Reach out to me.  I can help you achieve a
working Desktop on Arm64 booting from a USB SSD.

Fred Finster
fred@thegalacticzoo.com
fredfinster58@gmail.com

> */From:/* Johan Helsingius <julf_at_Julf.com>
> */Date:/* Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:47:52 UTC
> On 11/04/2024 19:38, Mark Millard wrote:
> > Which image(s)?
>
> I think it was the memstick one.
>
> > Only the likes of, say,
> >
> > FreeBSD-14.0-STABLE-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20240404-72c3d91294c4-267114.img.xz
> > and:
> > FreeBSD-15.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20240404-112783ebbc31-269103.img.xz
> > and:
> > FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-RPI.img.xz
> >
> > are set up with the extra materials that I referenced for the RPi*'s. Note:
> > Those are UFS based, not ZFS based.
>
> Ah! I see! Bummer that none of them are ZFS based, but I guess I can
> live with UFS on a RPi - it just means I have to have yet another
> backup procedure.
>
> > What did you put in da1p1 (efiboot0) ? That area you have
> > to deal with for bsdinstall usage. Some folks extract and
> > copy over what is in the msdosfs in a:
> >
> > *-arm64-aarch64-RPI-*.img.xz
> >
> > as a means of getting an officially-built set of such
> > materials when they want to customize other aspects.
>
> Would that make it possible to do a ZFS-based environment?
>
> 	Julf

--------------QIuk0Uuykn40P0G00J80shzd

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>

  </head>
      FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE</p>
      drive Stick to make your own USB SSD with a bootable ZFS file
      system using about 4 or 5 shell script files to make the move of
      copying files from a USB flash drive to a ZFS USB SSD.</p>
      gladly help you Julf and others who are interested in running
      FreeBSD on a USB SSD with an installed ZFS file system.</p>
      FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE RPI image.</p>
      your and to uncompress this compressed XZ image.  </p>
      Select '1' to download the FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE image<br>
      Select '2' to download the GhostBSD-Arm64 image file from my
      package NGINX web server  <a
        href="http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/</a>
      Select '3' to download from any URL you select</p>
      for you.<br>
      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/write_freebsd_img_dd_to_da1.sh"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/write_freebsd_img_dd_to_da1.sh</a><br>;
href="http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/Ghost14_5G_selfbuilt_raspi4b_Feb27_2.img.xz"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://ghostbsdarm64.hopto.org/packages/Ghost14_5G_selfbuilt_raspi4b_Feb27_2.img.xz</a>
      This is a 728Megabyte file to downloaded by the previous 6k shell
      script file when selecting option '2' .<br>
      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2022/02/booting-500-gb-ssd-on-freebsd-arm64-140.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2022/02/booting-500-gb-ssd-on-freebsd-arm64-140.html</a></p>;
      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/07/learning-zfs-on-root-setup-for.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/07/learning-zfs-on-root-setup-for.html</a></p>;
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/04/create-ghostbsd-usb-ssd-500gb-or-larger.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/04/create-ghostbsd-usb-ssd-500gb-or-larger.html</a>
      This is most for x86_64 but the commands are the same.</p>
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/10/honey-i-broke-my-zfs-usb-sata-ssd-1-tb.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/10/honey-i-broke-my-zfs-usb-sata-ssd-1-tb.html</a>
      Here are short details, about how I fixed a boot problem with my
      ZFS disk for Raspberry Pi 4B.</p>
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/01/hdmi-audio-sound-patches-into-ghostbsd.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2024/01/hdmi-audio-sound-patches-into-ghostbsd.html</a>
      Here are details for setting up the audio patch files to compile
      for FreeBSD and GhostBSD <br>
      create a ZFS USB SSD.</p>
href="https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/12/zfs-boot-on-root-setup-for-usb-ssd.html"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/12/zfs-boot-on-root-setup-for-usb-ssd.html</a><br>;
      a working Desktop on Arm64 booting from a USB SSD.<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:fred@thegalacticzoo.com">fred@thegalacticzoo.com</a><br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:fredfinster58@gmail.com">fredfinster58@gmail.com</a><br>
        Helsingius &lt;julf_at_Julf.com&gt;<br>