Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:46:22 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 12:08, Marc W wrote:
>     okay, so i'm going to give this a go.  I've  got a 4.1 system here,
> but want to upgrade it to 4.2 using the ports and all the automated
> rebuilding systems.
>
>     So, I went to /usr/ports/cvsupit, and installed and ran it, and it
> gave me the choice of tracking RELENG_4, which is i think what i want.
>
>     now, the question is -- after i've run this -- what do i have? a
> -STABLE or a -CURRENT ??? i'd really rather stay away from the -CURRENT
> releases and stay with a -STABLE....

RELENG_4 will give you 4.2 STABLE

>     after reading the docs it appears that all that is left after that
> is
>
>     make -DNOPROFILE=true buildworld
>     make -DNOPROFILE=true installworld\

then:

   make buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO  <--YOUR KERNEL NAME
   make installkernel KERNCONF=FOO
>     reboot
>
>     that's it?
Not quite
run mergemaster (see man mergemaster)

>     thanks!
>
>     marc.

your welcome  -  Beech

     Beech Rintoul - Network Manager - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510