Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 20:14:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   psroff

Why is there a /usr/bin/psroff?  This doesn't seem to be a very useful
command, merely a one line front end to groff that forces postscript, and
(because it forces the -C compatiblity mode) makes several macro packages
break.

I ask because there is a real psroff package, and having a psroff
interface to groff, it seems to me, just introduces extra confusion,
without offering any (that I can see) benefits.  The default mode of
groff is already to generate postscript, and forcing the compatibility
mode doesn't seem to be any win.

I'd take it out, if it were me.  It's located in
/usr/src/gnu/groff/nroff/psroff.sh, and the Makefile there installs it as
psroff.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |