Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:23:42 -0400
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD w 3C905 cannot connect to Cisco 3524XL switch

<from reply to Matthew>
it is both of the FreeBSD servers...  and the cards were
working just perfectly yesterday prior to moving the boxes
over to the Cisco switch.

Have also tested the ports and cables using the Win2k
workstations...  picks up no problem.

So the problem exists not with the cards, cables, or
ports...  leaving the configuration in the FreeBSD box or
the switch(or possibly router).
<further to that>

The problem with the auto negotiation supposedly existed in
the driver for the card for BSD versions (NetBSD was one of
the threads that discussed this resulting in my manually
setting the configuration).  After setting that, the
connection on the switch lit green (as opposed to nothing
before).

Problem still exists, cannot ping from switch to FreeBSD
servers, or from FreeBSD servers to switch(or anything
else).  Again, thinking config problem with FreeBSD boxes or
with switch.

any ideas?

Dave