Date:      01 Aug 2001 17:33:45 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, auman@info4seniors.org
Subject:   Re: Start up script and PATH statement

auman@info4seniors.org (Daniel Auman) writes:

> Sorry for the simple question but. . .
>
> I wanted to start a copy of 'vncserver' at boot up.  The script works
> after boot is complete and I'm logged in as root.  Upon boot the start
> up script I wrote complains about "xauth" not being in my PATH.
> "xauth" is in '/usr/X11R6/bin'  which is in root's '.profile' PATH
> statement as well as '/.profile'.
>
> Can anybody help?  Thanks in advance.

The path with which the local scripts are called is specified near the
beginning of /etc/rc.  You could add to it in your rc.conf, or in your
vncserver script, but it's probably better to just use the full paths
inside your script if possible.  [It may not BE possible: xauth may
not be called directly.  In that case, I think the best option is to
add it onto the path in the vncserver shell script:  something like
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin; export PATH
should do it.]

The reason that .profile doesn't help is that those are only sourced
when root starts an interactive shell, which a shell script obviously
does not.

Good luck.