Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:59:00 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entry on "calcru: negative time"

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 04:31:13PM -0800, Greg Shenaut wrote:

> I have done two different hacks for this: one is to increment a counter
> and print the message, along with the count, every 100-1000-whatever
> times.  The other hack I did was to use a flag and print the message
> the first time only.

  In a NetBSD forum, I suggested using an exponential scheme for
printing the message:  print it for the first, second, 4th,
8th, 16th, ... 1048576th, ... occurrence.  This is pretty much
bound to waste no more than 32 lines in the log file, but also
gives one an idea of how often it is occurring (compared to
simply printing once).  I've been using such a scheme for a few
years in some of my own code, and find it invaluable!

  It's easy to write a macro like EXPONENTIAL_KPRINTF(("format",
...)) that will provide such backoff on a case-by-case basis --
E-mail me if you want the proper incantation.  It takes an
extra set of parentheses, to deal with the varargs.

  BTW, on our system (built from 3.0-19981103-SNAP), we see
calcru problems, but sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1 prints:
sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.timecounter.method'.  Do I just need to
upgrade to a newer kernel?  The problem started when I tried to
run XF86_3DLabs, for a Fire GL Pro 1000 card, from XFree86-3.3.3.

  Brian
--
     "And with a few algebraic manipulations, we arrive at what is dear to our
      hearts, the classical equations of motion."  - Dr. Dunning, PHYS 202