Date:      03 Jun 2004 22:57:57 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statistical program for FreeBSD?

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 21:58, Gary wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a statistical program that will run in FreeBSD? I am
> looking for one that will run the Heckman's Phase 2 model, as SPSS will not
> run it. The only one I know of is SAS, but it is for windows only.. (costs a
> lot of money too, and is prohibitive) <g>
>
> thanks for any input..  I know it is a long-shot.

There is an open-source statistical package known as "R", with web page
at http://www.r-project.org/.  Here is the first paragraph or two.  I
know of professional statisticians at work who speak highly of it, even
though my organization purchases a site license for SAS.

Introduction to R

R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment
which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent
Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a
different implementation of S. There are some important differences, but
much code written for S runs unaltered under R.

R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear
modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis,
classification, clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is highly
extensible. The S language is often the vehicle of choice for research
in statistical methodology, and R provides an Open Source route to
participation in that activity.

One of R's strengths is the ease with which well-designed
publication-quality plots can be produced, including mathematical
symbols and formulae where needed. Great care has been taken over the
defaults for the minor design choices in graphics, but the user retains
full control.

R is available as Free Software under the terms of the Free Software
Foundation's GNU General Public License in source code form. It compiles
and runs on a wide variety of UNIX platforms and similar systems
(including FreeBSD and Linux), Windows and MacOS.