Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:31:33 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@offmyserver.com>
To:        Peter <pfak@telus.net>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:29:58AM -0700, Peter wrote:
> Found an interesting article on TechTV, seems to portray FreeBSD in a very
> good light. Might be good for some promotional thing, to print out and
> distribute.
>
> Available in PDF at http://cache.techtv.com/binaries/2003/freebsd.pdf

This is what Murray put together for our appearence on TechTV to discuss
FreeBSD. You can see the whole artcile here:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/showtell/story/0,24330,3421080,00.html
where they also have a windows media clip of the segment. not much to look at, but it's a start ;)

for those of you that prefer Real Player (like me!), I put the same video segment
on our website:
http://www.offmyserver.com/cgi-bin/oms/news/techtv_031403.html

if it doesn't play, try again later. I'm running the free version of
helix on FreeBSD, of course, which is limited to only 10 simultaneous
connections, I believe.

Unfortunately, they had some technical difficulties while we
were on the show, as it's a live show, and anything WILL happen. So
we didn't get the time that we had hoped for.

TechTV has promised to remedy this in their next FreeBSD segment which
should be coming soon. We will be doing a live 'Linux vs FreeBSD shootout' that
should last about a half an hour or so.

It's not really our intention to beat Linux in a webserver benchmark,
but not only will we have fun making virgin daiquiris after we finish
our installation and configuration in 10 minutes, we'll enjoy watching
the Linux guy sweat as he tries to finish a fully configured, secure
and optimized webserver in less than 30 minutes ;)

cheers,
-matt