Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:36:06 -0400
From:      Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dialup Sendmail

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELASE on a personal desktop system. I have
dialup PPP into an ISP, and my DNS settings for the DNS server on the ISP
works as I can surf the web fetch my email and such. I've been wanting to
setup outgoing email for a while but I haven't had the time (and I still
have Win95 on my system so I use that, for now) or knowledge. I stumbled
across the FreeBSD FAQ Question #8.19 ("How do I set up mail with a dialup
connection to the 'net?") and I figured I would give it a try. My fetchmail
works fine so I didn't touch that, I just worked on my sendmail. I followed
the directions, compiled the .mc file into a .cf and copied it into the
/etc/sendmail.cf file, rebooted and wrote a quick email to myself in
'mail', checked the queue with 'mailq' and it was in there. So I connected
up and typed 'sendmail -q'. But I got this message:

barbisan@interlog.com ... Host unknown (Name server: 'mail.interlog.com':
host not found)

My mail server on the ISP is mail.interlog.com and I was sending it to the
address: barbisan@interlog.com. The name of my computer is set to
'barbisan.interlog.com'. Here is the .mc file which I compiled, please let
me know if there are any problems in it, and/or possible solutions to my
problem.

VERSIONID('barbisan.interlog.com.mc version 1.0')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
Cw localhost
Cw barbisan.interlog.com
MASQUERADE_AS('interlog.com')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(nodns)dnl
define(SMART_HOST, 'mail.interlog.com')
Dm barbisan.interlog.com
define('confDOMAIN_NAME', 'barbisan.interlog.com')dnl
define('confDELIVERY_MODE', 'deferred')dnl

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark Barbisan.