Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:34:51 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

On Mar 22, 2005, at 5:26 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Freminlins writes:
>
>> So stick with NT. Why would you change from something that runs
>> perfectly for 8 years?
>
> I was able to retire the legacy applications on the machine and I
> wanted
> to try something new.

And you ran into a snag that you can't work through.  Most people if
they were doing this on a lark would either replace the hardware or try
a different distro.  There's some hardware here that I've gone through
probably three or four different liveboot CDs of Linux to get working
properly just because I didn't want to dedicate the time to
troubleshooting every last config problem.  Although when it comes to
SCSI bus resets, it seemed to usually be a problem with one of the
drives or the controller going bad.

When I ran into that error before, I remember seeing another person
post to a list saying that NT doesn't report the reset error.  Linux
did.  Maybe this is what you're running into?

>> That doesn't mean nothing has changed in 20 years, does it?
>
> It means that the age of the OS is not an issue.

But...didn't you bring that up?

And the design of the OS may be 20 years old, but the OS most people
are using isn't.

>> And your hardware seems to not work very well with FreeBSD. Move on.
>
> No, FreeBSD doesn't work very well with the hardware.  As a matter of
> fact, it doesn't work very well with the hardware on my production
> server, either.

Is the hardware on the compatibility list?  What is it?

> It seems that as soon as you install FreeBSD on a machine, the
> "hardware" fails.

If this is your gripe, then go back or work with people (without
baiting them) to get it looked at.  If your production server isn't
unsupported hardware, people may try to help you.  If this isn't what
you want to pursue as an avenue, then install something else.  My
impression is that you installed it, it had some errors, and after
people said they've had this happen with bad hardware, you simply
refuse to believe the possibility that something could have been wrong
but NT didn't *TELL* you about it, and then want to launch into an
attack on the OS in a list where people are running FreeBSD quite
happily on a wide range of hardware.

The stories just don't jive.  You're implying it doesn't work and is
crap because all your hardware isn't working with it.  This list is
populated by people that have worked out problems and configuration
errors and are running it without trouble.  Something just intuitively
tells me that at this point you're more concerned with pissing people
off to make a point.  Most people trying this on a lark would say,
well, it didn't work, so maybe I'll try this instead...if it's not
worth your time to try fixing it.  You implied you did this
installation on a lark.  Well, let it go then.  Try a Linux distro.
I've seen posts by people before saying they use Linux Live CD's to
test laptops at stores before buying.

Probably the best thing for you to try is Linux Knoppix on your server,
see if it boots and sees errors.  If Linux *and* FBSD see errors, I
think it's safe to say it is a problem with your hardware that NT
wasn't reporting.  Especially if your hardware is on the compatibility
list and is erroring out.

>> That's not what has been said. Having read this thread (and others by
>> you previously) you have no intention of helping yourself.
>
> What would you suggest that I do?  It takes a very long time to wade
> through OS source code.

Read my above suggestions.