Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:34:40 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Jonas Manalive <manalive@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mldonkey/xmule

Dear,

Jonas, I bounced you responce to questions@freebsd and cc that list in
to my reply. I have moved you text to the bottum becuase this can be
better read as stand alone mail.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:49:49PM -0800, Jonas Manalive wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:09, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:56:11PM -0800, Jonas Manalive wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I cannot figure out why neither mldonkey and xmule would connect. I am
> > > using 5.1, cvsupped and make world yesterday. I have a router, but no
> > > firewall (yet). I tried to google and see where I can pinpoint the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Few months ago, I was able to run with no problems on my older computer.
> > > I changed my motherboard and router for the new one with fresh install
> > > of 5.1.
> > >
> > > Anyone willing to help me/advise me or point me to websites for
> > > troubleshooting?
> >
> > This website is mldonkey orientated and has forum:
> > http://mldonkey.berlios.de/
> >
> > You may also make sure that you forward some port to you computer. This
> > FAQ has a topic about firewall that show you what ports to forward.
> > http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Wiki&pagename=FAQs
>
> Yeah, I checked that out, to no success. :(
>
> I will use the forum, thank you for your help.
>
> I am not using the firewall now, but will try that if I don't get it
> working soon.
>
> As the last time I got it running on my old computer, I didn't touch the
> default settings and mldonkey connected to servers with no problem. Now,
> with a new computer and fresh installation of 5.1, I cannot get it
> connected to servers. I can see that it tries to connect, but kept
> getting timed out or lose connection.

What I meant was that you router (NAT?) acts the same way as a firewall
seen from the point of view of a computer on the internet. Enabling the
firewall will not solve your problem. It only makes you system more
secure.

I didn't find the page I wanted to show you. This is the one with all
the ports. You wan't to forward these to your own computer.

(Firewall) Which ports are used by MLDonkey ?
http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Wiki&pagename=Ports

I've seen the result from another computer and didn't start a
thread becuase I already had forwarded the ports to another computer. So
I'll be watching your thread. Others may find it helpfull to. Could you
send a link?

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: