Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:49:29 +0100
From:      Paul Branston <apbran@rannoch.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Help - anyone?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:59:07PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> If someone can help I'd really appreciate it.  I am battling to make head or
> tail of the documentation on the sendmail website!
>
> I have a server on FreeBSD 4.2 running sendmail - and all is well.
>
> Now, a bunch of users are moving onto the same LAN.  I want to add them on
> the same sendmail server, but they belong to a different company, and hence
> have a different internet domain.
>
> I can set all the MX records incoming OK, and set local-host-names so that
> the server will accept the incoming emails.
>
> BUT: How do I ensure that outbound emails correctly show a source address
> for the respective different domains?
>
> In other words, some emails will be:
> From: joe-bloggs@origdomain.com
you need a genericstable to re-write the outgoing email addresses
so that local user joe becomes joe@domain.com
e.g.
joe joe@domain.com
(if you include a left-hand-side address with a domain part you
need that domain in a genericsdomain file)

and for incoming mail use a virtusertable to map joe@domain.com
onto the local box where the mail is to be delivered.

create a sendmail.cf file with support for these features,
masquerade_envelope
virtusertable
genericstable

> While other emails will be:
> From: an-other@newdomain.com
>
> and yet both the user accounts (joe-bloggs and an-other) are physically
> resident on the same mail server.  As I understand things, sendmail will
> show all source addresses from one common domain, the domain of the mail
> host.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick.

/*