Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:59:46 -0500
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "'Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC'" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Release engineering confusion

> >> 6.x box is

> >> pretty much

> Does anyone
> >> environment? I've
> >> my main box,
> >>

> >> I generally track -RELEASE but my production boxes are
> currently at
> >> 5.4-STABLE from a while ago since there was an issue I was
> trying to
> >> fix and was hoping someone had put a patch in to fix whatever my
> >> issue was :-)  My issue has not shown up since and my
> boxes have been
> >> working fine.
> >>
> >> But in general I play it conservative and track -RELEASE
> >
> > Thanks Chad,
> >
> > Do you 'sup and build in a devel lab first, or do you perform your
> > upgrades in real-time, and if something fails go from there?
>
> Major version changes I try and do in a lab first and make
> sure all is good.  -RELEASE patch levels I do live and have
> never had an issue.  The current switch to -STABLE was also
> live since I was in a bind trying to figure out why I was
> getting a hanging machine...

Thanks again. So, essentially, it's ok for me to track a release...any
release and feel confident that I am secure (at least up to date as I
can be) without introducing new *feature* bugs into a live environment?

Realistically, that's exactly what answer I've been looking for.

My systems perform very particular tasks. I don't need anything new, I
just want to ensure I've got all the sec/bug patches that our fine
fellows have produced, and we know are stable (not as in FBSD-STABLE). I
don't have the time, nor staff resources to test every single update in
a lab before we deploy, hence the reason for this whole entire thread.

Steve