Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:27:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Good wireless card for -current?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:30:35PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Ok, based on local availability, and recommendations from various folks,
> > I've narrowed it down to aironet 350, and netgear MA401NA. Any commentary
> > on those two cards is welcome. I'm particularly interested in hearing
> > about the netgear card, since wi(4) lists the MA401 model, but not the NA.
> >

> MA401 and MA401NA are the same cards, NA stands for Network Adapter.

I had hoped that this was the case, but I've been burned by that kind of
thing before. NA could stand for "New and Advanced!" and be a totally
different chipset or something.... bastards.

> It's under -CURRENT, and I use the card daily.  Don't ask me what means
> RA :))

What kind of speed do you get on this with encryption enabled? My laptop
can do 6-7 MBps on the wire, so I'm looking for something that can at
least do 5.5 with full WEP (yes I know WEP isn't secure, but I like to
raise the bar if I can). Also, does it do promiscuous mode? The vendor
website is of limited usefulness.

Thanks!

Doug