Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:38:02 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@wlansystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on non-fpu device

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:33:14AM +0200, Heikki Suonsivu wrote:
>Why anyone would be interested?  The eBOX 2300SX cpu is a SoC device, whic=
h=20
>is by far the lowest power consumption I have seen, and this is probably=
=20
>cheapest computer on the market, still suitable for number of applications=
=2E=20
> While it is not exactly a speed daemon, it works well enough for all kind=
s=20
>of mp3-playing, small servers and control applications.

I very much doubt MP3 playing is going to work without an FPU.  The
2300SX specifications are badly mangled by the website but appear to
suggest that it needs 5V@3A - this is not especially low power and
you should be able to find alternatives.  Check out www.pcengines.ch
and www.ewayco.com [I haven't used either of these manufacturers but
have found them in searches].

>Alternatively, porting MATH_EMULATE back from NetBSD etc might be an=20
>option, but might be a larger task, and apparently NetBSD math emulation=
=20
>did not work out of box either (seems to be a cpu detection bug, based on=
=20
>mailing list discussions).

FreeBSD used to support both MATH_EMULATE and GPL_MATH_EMULATE.  Support
was removed in July 2003 but the bits are still in the CVS repository.
I don't know how much effort would be involved in resurrecting it.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC--