Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:37:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Bongert <dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Mounts 4.0-RELEASE -> Tru64 5.0

Our mail server is a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE machine, with the mail spool directory
being served via NFS to a bunch of Tru64 4.0 machines. Now, I realize NFS
locking isn't working quite right under FreeBSD, but I haven't had a problem
using (for example) pine on the client machines. (IMAP and POP daemons run
locally on the FreeBSD box and work fine)

However, we just purchased a new Tru64 box, and it came with Tru64 5.0, which
introduced a bunch of OS level changes and NFS isn't working quite right. If I
run pine from the new machine, the syslog gets a bunch of these errors:

Oct 12 16:03:48 mariah lockd[373]: Can't create client handle to charles NLMv4:
RPC: Program not registered

(mariah is the tru64 box, charles is the FreeBSD box)

I've been hesitant to upgrade the mail server, because mail's so important. (I
have close to 800 users). Is there a significant change to NFS behavior between
4.0-RELEASE, and some of the more current versions of FreeBSD?

--
Dan Bongert                     dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu
SSCC Unix System Administrator  (608) 262-9857