Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:23:46 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Steven Hartland <steven@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS corruption due to lack of space?

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

On 2012-Oct-31 17:25:09 -0000, Steven Hartland <steven@multiplay.co.uk> wro=
te:
>Been running some tests on new hardware here to verify all
>is good. One of the tests was to fill the zfs array which
>seems like its totally corrupted the tank.

I've accidently "filled" a pool, and had multiple processes try to
write to the full pool, without either emptying the free space reserve
(so I could still delete the offending files) or corrupting the pool.

Had you tried to read/write the raw disks before you tried the
ZFS testing?  Do you have compression and/or dedupe enabled on
the pool?

>1. Given the information it seems like the multiple writes filling
>the disk may have caused metadata corruption?

I don't recall seeing this reported before.

>2. Is there anyway to stop the scrub?

Other than freeing up some space, I don't think so.  If this is a test
pool that you don't need, you could try destroying it and re-creating
it - that may be quicker and easier than recovering the existing pool.

>3. Surely low space should never prevent stopping a scrub?

As Artem noted, ZFS is a copy-on-write filesystem.  It is supposed to
reserve some free space to allow metadata updates (stop scrubs, delete
files, etc) even when it is "full" but I have seen reports of this not
working correctly in the past.  A truncate-in-place may work.

You could also try asking on zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org=20

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr