Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:58:59 -0400
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd-update with a custom kernel and jails

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to freebsd-update. I used to recompile the kernel and
the world when I wanted to update. But I think it's now time to take
advantages of the binary update possibility. I looked at the man pages
and some googling couldn't answer my questions properly. I need to roll
out a server quick and I just want to be sure I'm on the good path.

There is my situation:
I want to be able to use freebsd-update to update a FreeBSD 7.0-Release
installation to the latest security patches (I want an update and not an
upgrade if I understand correctly). Where this gets more complicated is
that I need a custom kernel (for ULE, pf and ALTQ while also disabling
some devices I'll never need) and I want to use jails to isolate every
services (Apache and MySQL by now).

So, I read at some places that you can't use freebsd-update with a
custom kernel, but I'm not sure if this apply only in the case of an
upgrade between release or if I'll need to manually recompile the kernel
with every use of freebsd-update.

I also read that it's possible to update the jails from the host system
with the -b flag. In this case, I supposed that I need to update the
host system before the jail, but is the procedure going to be exactly
the same?

Talking about procedure, it would be nice if someone could confirm that
all I need to do is 'freebsd-update fetch' followed by 'freebsd-update
install' to update the host system.

I'm sorry if this has been explained before but I couldn't find anything
clear on this. I least, your answer will make a good, update to date
source of information.

Thank you all for your replies,

Martin