Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:27:33 +1100 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frying pan to fire?

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> g'day (OZ in exile)

Come back! We need more people like you! :-)

Thanks for all the info.

> and anyhow it means that you can split /usr/src and /usr/obj on
> 2 different drives wich speads things up if you are going to do 'make
> world' :)
> /usr/obj: 140MB + 21MB  (it stashes copies of 'cc' and it's own vopy
>                          /usr/include in the tmp so it is self contained
>                           when doing a 'make world'.)
>
> These figures are with everything BUILT, so that includes all the .o files
> and binaries sitting in /usr/obj.

I don't understand all this programming and compiling business, so the point
of where the files go is lost on me, unless I can follow recipe-style.
I'll keep it for when I do understand though :-)

> you don't really need all the sources if:
> 1/ you have them on CDROM
> 2/ you aren't following -current

You've convinced me :-)

> 1/ copy /etc to somewher safe (a tar file in the DOS disk? (and turn the
> power off on it))

Just unplug the drive's power cable? Or is there a graceful way?

> 2/ write down (or print out)
> the output of:

Noted with thanks... and relief.

> > I'm concerned that the last upgrade was not perfect, losing the use of
> > some existing stuff in bin. Posts here mentioned the loss of ps but my ps
> > works fine, I lost killall and which and a couple of others, and for some
> > reason I couldn't follow the remedy given for ps. Maybe an upgrade will
> > fix this anyway?
>
> upgrades should not delete anything. (except /etc)

No, nothing was deleted. It all shows up with ls, permissions look generous,
but when I try to _execute_ them (say, 'which ls') it lies to me, saying
something like "we haven't got anything to run called 'which' here"
(paraphrased, not in FreeBSD right now).

> I re-arange my disk about every 6 months :)

Ooooh, and here's me thinking this is impossible, or at least treacherous!

> > And the kernel. I like my funny little kernel the way it is. Can I simply
> > take the old config file and rebuild it under 2.2.5 without brain input?
> Basically.
> diff your config against GENERIC
> and apply the diffs to the new GENERIC

Diff?? The last diff I touched left me covered in grease.
But I guess you're talking about the type of diff that needs a man.
Sounds useful, I'll investigate.

>  WHERE in OZ?
Sydney/Gosford
Don't call in for coffee, pancakes, home baked bread and fresh pasta with
garden grown basil and oregano or you'll end up working for it :-)