Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 14:48:30 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@327.ca>
To:        Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>, michael@327.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MySQL port

Thanks for the reply, Tony.

OK, I've tried: # mysqladmin -u root -p -password "[password]"
I get the "Enter password: " prompt.
Then I hit <Return>

...and I get:

mysqladmin: Unknown command: "[password]"

So, I think there must be more to it than this. I'll take a closer look at
the Changelog to try to figure out how the client's default behaviour has
changed. (This makes sense because MySQL has been updated since I last
installed it.)

Thanks again.

M.

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 13:32, Tony Wells wrote:
> They changed the default behavior of the client on MySQL recently.  It
> used to let you connect without the -p argument if there wasn't a
> password set.  Try this:
>
> # mysqladmin -u root -p -password "[password]"
>
> Just hit "Return" when it prompts you for a password.
>
> As far as I can tell the -p argument is now required for the client.
>
> Michael O'Henly wrote:
> > I have installed the mysql323-server port before and I'm sure I followed
> > the same procedure this time...except, when I try to create a password
> > for the root user, I get:
> >
> >         # mysqladmin -u root -password "[password]"
> >
> >         mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> >         error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password:
> > YES)'
> >
> > I'm fairly new to MySQL so I'm not sure how to interpret this. It looks
> > as though, by default, root isn't getting admin access, but I don't
> > understand why this should be.
> >
> > No doubt I'm overlooking something obvious. Suggestions appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > M.
> >
> > --
> > Michael O'Henly