Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:09:46 -0700
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc

Is there some reason normal users, or Apache needs access to /etc? If so,
what files? I did a chmod 700 on /etc, and user directories(cpl.net/~user)
stop working, but virtualhosts still worked, in fact the only thing that
broke was user directories. Does anyone know what may have been the problem,
or what file(s) the web server needs? The Apache error_log had this to say
when attempting access to my (or any) user directory :

[Fri Aug 20 19:10:19 1999] [error] [client 192.216.87.249] File does not
exist: /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/cpl-dev/~shawn

Which makes no sence, because my home directory is in /disk6/shawn .......
(symlinked from /home, but I don't think that matters)