Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:44:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "W. Reilly Cooley" <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help fine-tuning a web server (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> > Does -m486 also help on Pentium or Pentium II systems ?
>
> Yes it does. If you don't include it then gcc will only use instructions
> that also work on 386's - enabling 486 optimizations will allow the use
> of some extra opcodes that weren't available for 386's that can speed up
> some operations.

Does anyone consider the egcs or pgcc Pentium (and greater) optimizations
stable enough for a production server?

I ran my workstation last summer with fully (ridiculously?) PGCC-optimized
C libraries and a few other parts, and had no problems, but that's isn't
exactly "production", although for the little work it did it was up 24x7.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                          wcooley@nakedape.navi.net
Naked Ape Consulting                        http://nakedape.navi.net