Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:07:44 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Bob@buckhorn.net
Cc:        David Fuchs <beastie@beastie.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN vs. DNews

>INN and DNEWS where pretty even until DNEWS released version 5. They
>totally reinvented the way the server gets rid of stale files (expires),
>and the server can be configured to spawn child processes. (If one news
>server isn't enough, run 2, or 3 or ..). We have 2 full IHAVE feeds
>inbound (UUNET and C&W), we feed two corporate downline servers (one
>suck feed, one IHAVE) and usually have around 900 users online. All of
>this on a P200pro, 96mb RAM, and 50gb of ide disk. And we have server to
>spare. We run our tucows mirror on the same box. (Of course, I firmly
>beleive that 3x-stable is making all of this possible ;)

Well since I'm preparing to build a new server soon I will consider
DNEWS, too.  :-)  One thing you mentioned reminds me of a question I've
been pondering.  Disks.  You said you're using 50 GB IDE.  I have no IDE
experience (yet) but recent discussions had left me wondering if IDE was
really up to the challenge of news.  I've been torn between buying new
IDE drives and throwing some existing towers filled with 2 GB SCSI drives
at it.  (Yes, I have a lot of old 2 GB drives, 7 to a box.) Given the I/O
profile of news I'm not yet convinced the IDE drives would be faster.

-Mitch