Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 19:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: date(1)

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Of course, in the interest of script-portability, we should not
> > extend date(1) at all.  Anyone trying to enter the century should
> > get an error.  This is the whole purpose of Posix, to increase
> > portability.  By creating extensions to it, we defeat the whole
> > purpose just for the sake of creating a better operating system.
>
> Well, I've done the other changes (they only take effect if you use
> the new flags).  Is the general concensus that we should leave out
> the century ?  It's no loss if we leave it out as allowable dates

Well, my comment was really more a (fairly realistic) parady of
the "logic" that had just been used to shoot down a valid
extension to sleep(1) (had the submitter phrased himself
differently, I doubt anyone would have reacted as they did).

There really is no value in _not_ adding the century (other than
saving a little coding time, and the [assorted negative
adjectives deleted] argument about "portability), even if there
is no immediate value in adding it either.

Actually, I thought the concensus went the other way.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk