Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:07:02 +1000
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   hast degraded

I am in a bit of a mess. I have a pair of servers running ZFS over HAST on four drives. Today the primary server reported that the hast array had changed role to secondary. And this started causing corruption to data since the zpool was still mounted and trying to write to this array.

I was not able to make the hast primary again since when I did that it shows like this:

# hastctl status
Name	Status	 Role		Components
ssd2	degraded primary        /dev/da2	10.8.8.1
ssd3	degraded primary        /dev/da3	10.8.8.1
ssd4	degraded primary        /dev/da4	10.8.8.1
ssd5	degraded primary        /dev/da5	10.8.8.1

On the slave server, I get exactly the same result. When I switch hast to primary role it is marked as degraded.

Where to from here? How can I force the hast array to go back to primary role? I desparately need to recover from this point since the backups are missing some part of the data set. I had hoped that hast under a zfs raid would give me extra redundancy, however it appears it has instead given me a new way to corrupt all the data on both machines simultaneously.

Cheers

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis