Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:12:40 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software Update practices (was Internet Explorer and Unix

At 05:03 PM 11/3/98 -0500, Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:

>> At 12:46 PM 11/3/98 -0800, Kenton A. Hoover wrote:
>> >IE for UNIX is clearly targeted at the corporate, not the home user base.
>> Its
>> >to "check off the box" on corporate requirements.  Get IE in the door and
>NT
>> >will then push out UNIX, right?
>>
>> I'd hope not.. NT gives me weird rashes in all sorts of places.  I'm trying
>> to find a way to get rid of the one running the Netscape servers..
>>

>Want some fun... try booting the Netscape servers with year 9000.
>
>$5.00 says the web server blows chunks.  It did at work, here, on a
>Compaq who's laptop battery ran down enough to let the date randomize.
>
>The earlier non-Y2k complient one core'd.  This one just doesn't allow
>non-server control connections.  Resetting the date and rebooting
>fix the problems.
>
>Don't know if it's NT4 fixpack 3 or the Netscape stuff, though.
>
>Who knows if it's year9k compliant.
>
>I wish all software was as well tested as FreeBSD.  Unfortunately,
>the fix it in next release/slipstream patch set mentality has
>set in.  DEC's VAX/VMS (who had a pretty common patch set back in the
>early to mid '80's) never put new functionality in a bug fix set.
>
>Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't agree with that and slips goodies in
>with every new Win95 cd. (DLL differences, Fat32, Fat32+, USB support)
>
>At least DEC would put a dot release upgrade in for new device support.
>
>Bill
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Bill and/or Carolyn Pechter    |        pechter@shell.monmouth.com        |
>|   Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a villain in  |
>|  a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller                         |
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

But see, who's going to say to Microsoft, "Don't do that!".  There's no
book setting a practice for introductions of new standards.  The people who
hold the cards are the people that introduce 3 different versions of the
OEM release of their product, yet their SHELF product becomes 'out of date'.

Where do we, the people that upgraded first thing to Windows 95 from Win3.1
go for updates and Fat32?  The answer? "Go buy a new Dell, or a Micron, or
a Sony.. or someone that OEM's a newer version".

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998