Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:23:22 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightly backup using CD-ROM - how do i?

--Boundary-00=_C+VkBl7gGMYK+xC

--nextPart1693951.au5ZfYkCLr

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 06:49 pm, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Now instead of the above, I would like to pipe the output
> > to be written to a CD-ROM mounted on the same box. I am
> > hoping burncd or some other app can be used to do that:
> >
> > tar czf - / | burncd -arg1 arg2 blah...
>
> tar czf - / | burncd -e -smax data - fixate
>
> That just puts raw data on the CD, so you'll have to pull it off as a
> file.  You can use mkisofs to build an ISO filesystem so the CD will be
> readable on other systems.  See the man pages for burncd and mkisofs.
>
> > So every night I just mount a blank CD and let a cron job
> > do the backup;)
> >
> > I know there could be gotchas, like when the CD is not empty, etc.
>
> tar has problems with special files; dump is better in that regard.
> There are other problems, like the size limits of CD or DVD.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
This is what I use.  Shell script attached.
Basically it matches the files in:
$BACKUP_DIR/$DATESTRING*.tar.gz
It then creates and ISO file and burns to a CD, and fires off an email if=20
the backup fails.  It also incrementally adds stuff to a CD, so you can=20
put in a blank CD and it'll keep adding stuff everytime the script is run=20
until the space fills up, and then you'll get an email.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry

--nextPart1693951.au5ZfYkCLr

--nextPart1693951.au5ZfYkCLr--