Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:47:23 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        khetan@os.org.za
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM Writer

Hi Khetan

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 01:03:01AM +0200, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> I'm running 3.0-CURRENT, and am planning to buy a CD-ROM writer or rewriter.
> I'm undecided whether to purchase a IDE or SCSI-based drive (I do have a
> spare IDE slot and do have a ISA Adaptec 1542). The drive I'm thinking
> of getting is the HP 8100 IDE based drive.

I have an HP8100 IDE in my -STABLE box, and it's a real pain to get anything
burnt on it.  I'd definitely recommend going with a SCSI burner if at all
possible.

> Does anyone have any experience with this, and is there anything to watch
> out for (I know the IDE CD-ROM has to be on the primary IDE channel, and not
> the secondary channel).

I've tried the "acd" driver, and it does appear to allow me to _write_ to the
CD, but it has a problem writing the TOC at the end.  So far I've only tried
to burn audio tracks, but I will hopefully get a chance to try a data CD this
weekend sometime.

--mwest@uct.ac.za