Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:43:13 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@DeepCore.dk
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD6.0 BETA5

Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> Hi, for the first time  FreeBSD 6.0 recognizes my SATA drives, yippie! =
=20
> Yesterday's 6.0BETA4 would not initialize ad4 and ad6 would freeze up u=
nder=20
> moderate  writes so whatever changed between BETA4 and BETA5 has been a=
 real=20
> improvement.

There has been no real ATA changes between 4 and 5..
>=20
> Under FreeBSD5.4 both drives always initialize just fine,  but even aft=
er this=20
> new BETA5 I stille have to boot the machine multiple times before both =
drives=20
> initialize, usually just one or the other will.  Also dmesg  is still s=
howing=20
> some sort of error "ata2: FAILURE -  oversized DMA transfer attempt 870=
4 >=20
> 7680".

The oversized DMA diag is  because ataraid does not limit its write=20
size, and that I'm looking into..

> FreeBSD ringworm.mechee.com 6.0-BETA5 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 #2: Sun Sep 18 =

> 14:40:15 PDT 2005    =20
> root@ringworm.mechee.com:/usr6/obj/usr6/src/sys/RINGWORM6  i386
>=20
> Drive ad6 still locks up with moderate writes and freezes the entire sy=
stem=20
> under BETA5

You should try -current where I have committed substantial updates to=20
the timeout code that might help you when the failure happens.
The timeouts and datacorruption on the SiI3112 can only be solved 100%=20
by throwing it out and substituting it with a real SATA controller...

--=20

-S=F8ren