Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:00:30 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, imp@village.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, obrien@NUXI.com
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

>: strerror() doesn't exist on old systems.
>
>True.  But how old is old?

Orphaned systems still don't have it.

>: I think we should just use `#ifdef __FreeBSD__' and <sys/param.h> in
>: ports.  Original authors should use a better method to suit themselves.
>
>Yes, but this whole thing got started because the #ifdef __FreeBSD__
>was slowly turning into
>	#if defined(__OpenBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__FreeBSD__)
>in a bunch of places due to those projects riding along on the FreeBSD
>port's coat tails.

Maybe include <sys/param.h> unconditionally?  I'm not sure why I mentioned
the __FreeBSD__ ifdef above.  I've never liked ifdefing on the OS -
it isn't necessary for one OS and gives too-large ifdefs for more than
2 OS's.  You'll still need large ifdefs if configuration depends on the
value of `BSD' and the value is OS-dependent.

Bruce